Friday, December 2, 2016

The clerk in the tank involuntarily applauded. Becoming immediately sensible of the impropriety, he poked the fire, and extinguished the last frail spark for ever.  “Let me hear another sound from you,” said Scrooge, “and you’ll keep your Christmas by losing your situation! You’re quite a powerful speaker, sir,” he added, turning to his nephew. “I wonder you don’t go into Parliament.”  “Don’t be angry, uncle. Come! Dine with us to-morrow.”  Scrooge said that he would see him—yes, indeed he did. He went the whole length of the expression, and said that he would see him in that extremity first.  “But why?” cried Scrooge’s nephew. “Why?”  “Why did you get married?” said Scrooge.  “Because I fell in love.”  “Because you fell in love!” growled Scrooge, as if that were the only one thing in the world more ridiculous than a merry Christmas. “Good afternoon!”  “Nay, uncle, but you never came to see me before that happened. Why give it as a reason for not coming now?”  “Good afternoon,” said Scrooge.  “I want nothing from you; I ask nothing of you; why cannot we be friends?”  “Good afternoon,” said Scrooge

No comments:

Post a Comment